Sterling Paralegal

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between a Paralegal and a Lawyer?     

Licensed paralegals are a cost effective alternative to hiring a lawyer for matters involving Small Claims Court, provincial tribunals and offences, various minor criminal offences and Landlord & Tenant matters. Paralegals and lawyers are educated advocates who represent clients in legal matters. Both must maintain membership in the Law Society of Upper Canada and carry Errors and Omissions Insurance.

Will I be able to recover my Paralegal fees? 

It is important to distinguish between legal fees (the amount you pay to your paralegal for representation) and court costs (the various fees paid to the Courts or Tribunals to process documents at various stages in your case). The successful party in a proceeding is entitled to receive 100% of the court costs reimbursed to them by the unsuccessful party. The successful party is also entitled to receive a portion of their legal fees reimbursed to them by the unsuccessful party. The judge will ultimately decide how much this will be.

How much is this going to cost me?  

We offer various fee schedules in order to suit our clients’ financial situations. For a list of our fees, please see our Fee Schedule page.

How long does the Small Claims Court process take?

Small Claims Court actions tend to move forward much more quickly than Superior Court actions. If your action is resolved at the Settlement Conference or Pre-Trial stage (the mandatory mediation before trial), you can expect the process to take anywhere from 3-4 months. If your action proceeds all the way to trial, you can expect the process to take from 9-24 months.

Can I take an unlicensed driver to Small Claims Court?   

Yes, you can take an unlicensed driver to Small Claims Court as long as your case is within the jurisdictional limit of the court. Jurisdictional limit is the maximum amount you can sue for in Small Claims Court which is currently valued at $25,000. If the claim is greater than the jurisdictional limit you automatically relinquish the excess.

How long do I have to file an action in Small Claims Court?

In Small Claims Court you have 6 months to serve the claim from the date you have the claim issued by the courthouse. For most law suits you must have the claim issued by the courthouse within two years of knowing that you have been wronged. However, some law suits, i.e. against an insurance company, require then claim to be issued within a year.

Comments are closed.

Sterling Paralegal

Sterling Paralegal is owned and operated by Thomas Schoenleber, Licensed Paralegal. Mr. Schoenleber has a B.A. from the University of Western Ontario and has been practicing as a litigation paralegal since 1993.

Loryn Lux, Licenced Paralegal, holds H.B.A. and M.B.A. degrees. Ms. Lux has been working as a paralegal since 2010, and in 2013 joined Sterling Paralegal as the managing partner.